This monument from 1928 takes a special place in the street ensemble, as it is lower than its adjacent buildings and it gives entrance to the telephone exchange in the court. The building used to house the servants of this telephone exchange, but now it needs to be upgraded. To respect this monumental quality in the street, we gave the roof extension a setback so it’s not visible from street level.
The analysis of the facade lead to a light and delicate addition, which can be seen as a continuation of the architectural qualities of the original building in a modern way. Within a rigid framework of wooden frames, open or closed faces are placed in various depths. Height accents refer to the ground floor and make the building adept to its neighbours.